Saturday, December 26, 2009

New Zealand - the non American perspective (by Paul Cheshire)






Introduction

I do not come from the Land of the free and the home of the brave, I come from the land that gave us everything necessary to live in the world today. As Nate will agree, this can only be one country, Scotland. Therefore, my view of New Zealand may be slightly different to that of my good American friend. But I need to keep in with the big man as he has promised to have his good Mother hoist the Bonnie Scotland flag up the Smith flagpole when I come to visit the Burgh of Pitts.

New Zealand is a small country with a vast number of wonderful sites, more than any one country deserves. Similar to Scotland, the North Island is green. But there are also the beaches, the ski slopes, the mountains. Someone told me New Zealand was a poor country, if this is true yachts must be on special offer down the local shops. And then there’s the South Island, not seen much of it yet but from what I hear New Zealand is a country of two halves, with each one impressive as the other.

Nate’s observations

Of Nate’s main gripes I agree with some and disagree with others. The inconvenience of the convenience store I can live with. I like it where things close at a reasonable time and a country recognises the difference between day and night. Where I grew up the only place open at 3 in the morning were the petrol stations and you had to ask for your Pot Noodle through the window.

Roundabouts, I love roundabouts. Auckland has a long way to go before it obtains Polo mint city status so these don’t bother me too much. But I agree with Nate about some of the other road set ups. You can be sitting at a red filter light at 3 in the morning with not a single other car in site. But you just know the one time you decide to go there will be a police car round the corner.

One road which Nate has not specifically included in his blog yet is St Georges Bay Road, the road I live on with my fiancée Fiona, which I know drives him mad. Lots of parked cars on either side of the road so often a drive down the road involves stopping, starting, pulling in and out. A common feature of British town roads. I love it.

Pharmacy rule – I think Nate has summed this one up. I only wish I was there the day he yelled at the counter in true Macenroe style “You gotta be kidding me!”.

Doritos and diet pop – I think Nate might be over this one, and it’s all down to me. I discovered “Martha’s backyard”, a USA store, and was good enough to take Nate there. A kid in a sweet shop comes to mind. I was disappointed that the woman behind the counter never said “Have a nice day now”.

My observations

Breaking the ice

Being Scottish is a wonderful thing. You can inform all your American friends about all the amazing inventions your fellow countrymen devised, you can be proud about how amazing at all sports your country is, you can be proud in the knowledge that you will take a great tan when the sun comes out and you can be guaranteed whenever you meet someone new in New Zealand they will inform you about their Scottish ancestry. This will be quickly followed by either “you’ll be use to this cold weather being from Scotland” or “it’s not like a Scotsman to buy a round of drinks”. If I were to get a dollar for every time someone said one of those to me I’d still be a miserable auld Scotsman.

Sports participation

This country is sports mad. I’ve never known so many people to go out jogging so often or play a sport regularly. They definitely prefer to take part than to spectate. And it’s infectious. Having no interest in jogging what so ever before I arrived here I have since ran two half marathons, signed up for another and spent a small fortune on running shoes.

Making the most of your doorstep

Often I am embarrassed when I meet someone who has visited Scotland and they tell me all about the Highlands or the Islands and I have to admit that I have never visited them myself. There is the old clichĂ© about not appreciating your own doorstep and there are certainly a lot of Kiwis who are as guilty of this as I am. Many may not have visited the South Island or done the Tongariro Crossing but one things for sure most weekends they are probably at the family bach by the sea. Auckland, and I’m sure most other main NZ cities, empties come most Friday nights should the weather man predict sun for the weekend. I think the attitude most have regards to getting out and doing something is brilliant. Certainly something I hope rubs off on me once my time here is up.

Christmas in the sun

Being from the Northern Hemisphere everyone assumes I am use to White Christmas’. This is not true. Where I am from there have only been three in my lifetime, ironically one this year which I missed. But one things for sure in New Zealand that the sun shining on Christmas day is a lot more common. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel celebrating Christmas in the sun but I’ve done it twice now and have to admit to liking it. A barbeque on the beach followed by a swim in the sea, there could be worse ways to spend your holidays.

Hopefully this has provided a different insight into a fascinating, wonderful, sometimes bizarre country.

Paul Cheshire
28/12/09

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Paul - great post! I'm confused as to what inventions you refer to above? I thought all important inventions have been made by Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul. Nice perspective, but you need to explain to us English-language-challenged Americans what "Pot Noodle" and "Polo Mint City" mean. Is there something lost in the translation...like with fanny packs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I will hoist the bonnie flag of Scotland whenever you can come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff - Apologies for the delay in response. Pot Noodle's are a UK snack which is essentially a pot of noodles that you fill up with boiling water and then eat out the pot. A favourite with frequenters of gas stations in the early hours of the morning. Polo mints are mints with a hole in the middle, so we call towns or citys that have a lot of roundabouts "polo mint city".

    Many thanks for the book, there was really no need. But I look forward to reading about how if it weren't for Scotsman America wouldn't be here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait now the burgh of pitts? :( intresting perspective tho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait now, the Burgh of Pitts? :(

    ReplyDelete